top of page
Landlords (HCV Program)

If you are a landlord/owner and would like to work with the Falmouth Housing Authority, please contact us at


508-548-1977  or via email to


 Upon request, we will send to you "The Owner's Handbook -   A Guide to the Housing Choice Voucher Program for Owners and Property Managers."  The Falmouth Housing Authority participates in the Nan McKay subscription service - Nan McKay is the author of this guidebook.  

About the Program

To address the shortage of decent, affordable homes in our community, the Falmouth Housing Authority is interested in working with landlords.  The subsidies that come with the Housing Choice Voucher program (also known as Section 8) help voucher participants to live in the communities where they work, where their children are educated and/or where they have established supportive relationships.  Participants included elderly families, families with children, persons with disabilities, and working families who may not earn enough to otherwise maintain stable housing in escalating rental markets.  

How the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program Works

Qualified tenants receive a Housing Choice Voucher from a housing authority, such as FHA, and pay a portion (approximately 30%) of their income toward rent.  Falmouth Housing Authority pays the difference between the tenant's rental portion (as determined by the housing authority) and the total contracted rent.

The housing authority pays the rental subsidy (aka Housing Assistance Payment-HAP) directly to you or your designated payee each month under a HAP contract. As a landlord, you will rent to program families just as you would rent to non-program (non-subsidy) families.  You sign a contract with the housing authority and you sign a lease with the participant, who then becomes your tenant.  

In short, although the housing authority is not a party to the lease agreement between a landlord and their tenant, the housing authority plays a crucial role as it relates to participant obligations to the program.  The housing authority calculates the monthly subsidy to be released directly to the landlord/owner; the participant pays their income-based portion.

Learn more about the Housing Choice Voucher Program at

Contact the Board of Health

Be sure to contact the Board of Health to inquire regarding the requirements for renting properties in Falmouth.  Rental permits must be renewed annually  and are required for both long-term and short-term rental units.  For Falmouth landlords, contact the Board of Health at 508-495-7485.  

Request for Tenancy Approval

When a participant seeks to rent a unit, they will have the necessary paperwork to initiate the process.  This required paperwork, Request for Tenancy Approval, is a packet of forms that must be completed and signed by the owner and the participant.  Instructions to complete the paperwork are included in the packet.  The completed packet should be returned to the housing authority so that the lease up process may begin.  Rent reasonableness will be conducted to ensure that the landlord is not requesting more rent for a HCV/Section 8 unit than comparable units that are not subsidy-assisted.



The Housing Choice Voucher program requires an initial (prior to lease up) and an annual inspection of the unit to determined if housing quality standards are in compliance with HUD regulations.  Upon receipt of the RFTA, the inspection company will arrange for the inspection of the unit.  You will be informed regarding the date/time of the inspection.  You, or someone 18 years or older and has authorization to sign on behalf of the company must be present during the inspection.  

Tenant Screening

The landlord may implement their own legal screening process, including applications and background checks.  Screening for suitability is the responsibility of the landlord.  The housing authority screens tenants for program eligibility, not for suitability.  The selection of the tenant(s) is ultimately at the discretion of the landlord.  All initial lease ups must be for at least one year.  For more information regarding landlord/tenant law, 

review The Attorney Generals Guide to Landlord and Tenant Rights. 

Housing Assistance Payment Contract and Landlord/Tenant Lease

Once a landlord and participant have agreed to enter into a lease agreement, they will contact the housing authority to supply a copy of the lease agreement and sign off on additional documentation.  Landlords must supply their own leases; an addendum to the lease - which is required by HUD - will be provided for review and signature, along with other documents.

Landlords must sign the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract.  This is a contract between the landlord and the housing authority.  

Landlords must also provide a copy of their signed lease agreement with the participant to the housing authority.  The housing authority is not a party to the lease but is required to receive and review the agreement.  

A briefing for both the landlord and the participant will be held.  This briefing is normally held separately, but can be held together if the parties choose to do so.  The purpose of the meeting is to finalize the documentation and discuss any additional questions either party may have regarding the program.  It is also a great opportunity for landlord to review the terms of the lease agreement, review expectations for tenancy, etc.  Our goal is to help you, to the best of our ability, to have a stable, lengthy and enjoyable housing experience.

Landlord Resources

RFTA (Federal Housing Only): Request for Tenancy Approval (HUD Form 52517)

Section 3 Business Concern Self-Certification: Section 3 Packet

Rent Reasonable (All Housing Voucher Programs): Rent Reasonable Form

Form W9 (All Housing Voucher Programs)- Current Year W9 Form

Direct Deposit (All Housing Voucher Programs) - Housing Assistance Payment Deposit Form

Lead Notification (All Housing Voucher Programs) - Massachusetts Lead Law

Guide (All Housing Voucher Programs) - The Attorney General's Guide to Landlord and Tenant Rights in Massachusetts


bottom of page